This was a quick casserole type dish I knocked up in the week and have had subsequently for lunch and tonight’s dinner, it’s pretty straightforward to make and consists of mainly storecupboard and standard fridge contents. The chorizo permeates through the whole dish and makes this a very moreish bowl of supper.
- 6 gluten free sausages (I used those ones by that Irish guy Rankin but throw in your favourites), each chopped into six bitesize pieces
- About quarter of a ring of chorizo, chopped into small chunks
- 2/3 large handfuls of green lentils (I didn’t measure so think about the amount of people you are trying to feed and wing it)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 large carrot, quartered lengthways and chopped into fine chunks
- 1 stick of celery, split and chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- A glass of red wine
- A big squirt of ketchup
- lots of fresh ground pepper
Fry off the sausages and chorizo in the bottom of a heavy pot until browned. Soften the onions, celery and carrots in a bowl in the microwave then add with the garlic to the pot. Fry for a minute or so then splosh in the red wine, let it reduce for a moment or so then add the tomatoes, ketchup and pepper. Wash and then add the lentils and top up with about half to a can full of water. Top with a lid and simmer for about 25 min or until lentils are tender. Adjust the seasoning if necessary, I didn’t need to add any salt to this because the chorizo and sausages seemed to salt it enough so give it a taste and see. Serve alone in a bowl or with crusty bread.