Beans, beans they make you…ok well let’s just say they are very good for you, in fact butter beans can help reduce your cholesterol and are generally full of fibre and good stuff to keep you healthy. Personally, I just like the look of them, they are like giant baked beans and that is how they were described when a suddenly fusspot 3 year old told me she didn’t like butter beans, however when described as giant beans to help you grow big and tall (thank you Mr Green Giant) she was super keen and wolfed them all down.
Serves 2/3 or 4/5 as a smaller side
- 1 tin of butter beans
- 1 large onion, finely chopped and softened
- 1 chunky clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 tin of tomatoes, chopped
- 1 packet of smoked bacon lardons (200g) or use some good streaky bacon
- 2 dessert spoonfuls of balsamic vinegar (cheap stuff)
- 1 dessert spoonful of soft brown sugar
- 1 dessert spoonful of Worcester sauce
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
Fry your lardons in a saucepan in a little oil until crispy and brown. Add the softened onions and garlic and fry until starting to turn golden. Add the tomatoes and all the other ingredients and simmer gently for about 15 minutes. Drain and rinse your beans. Add beans to sauce and cook on a low heat for a further 15 min.
I served mine with some grilled good quality gluten free sausages but they make a great side for all kinds of dishes.